Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Support Local Soccer Campaign







A friend of mine on facebook posted the link to this video and I felt that it would be fitting for me to talk about on here.  Myself and my brother have recently begun our own quest to support local soccer in the form of being more committed to Canada's mens national team as well as getting behind Toronto FC in some way even if it has only begun with occasionally taken the time to watch a game on tv or following the Nutrilite Championship as well as my brother picking up a TFC kit even if it was on for a great sale price.  The fact is that for much of our lives as supporters we have only backed Manchester United as our club team and the Netherlands in internationals.  We will of course not be stopping with our support of them but we can do that as well as put more in to local soccer.  For me this is a matter of necessity since the best way to grow the game at a local level is to get behind it.  Toronto FC might not play the best soccer in the world and the games might not be as entertaining to watch but the fact is that they have increased the profile of the game greatly since joining the MLS.

The thing with this video that first struck me is that the opening commenter states that local football arrived in 2007 but that is not true.  It arrived at a new and higher level but it was not the first pro or semi-pro team in the country.  What TFC has done is provide Canada with a club at a level that felt worth putting our backing behind since it was in a league that we could see as being important.  For me the point of the video is not to call people to support any club but to start to care about Canada.  Many children now play soccer in this country so it is time that we all start to cheer for the national team.  We are Canadians and we can back our hockey team with so much pride and passion so why can we not do the same for the soccer team.

My biggest hope is that on June 1st when I go to the game I am greeted by a see of red and a stadium that is full of pride and patriotism.  It would be a shame to get to BMO field only to see that it is filled with Ecuador's colours and people who are Canadians but have chosen to put their support behind the visit side since that is where their background is.  There is nothing wrong with having a soft spot for the country where your roots are or even where your ancestors called home but if you are Canadian and you like soccer then you should consider getting behind the Canadian teams.

I will admit that I am never going to give up supporting Manchester United in favour of supporting TFC but what I am hoping to do is play my part in helping to grow the game in my country and if going to a game now and then or buying a shirt can do that then I am in.  I will admit that I am extremely excited to finally go and see a soccer game at such a high level and it has taken me far to long to do so.  The hope is that this experience does not let me down and in the future I hope that my stories of going to this game will allow me to convince others to come with me to support team Canada and Toronto FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment